SaraJane

Just a girl trying to get by. If I found a nice guy to get by with along the way, that wouldn't be all bad.

Friday, September 09, 2005

On my mind today

First of all, people who know me (in real life) know that I am fairly patriotic.  I love this country in many ways.  I love our freedom.  But at times, I just wish people were a little slower to exercise those freedoms.  Slower to judge.  Slower to spout off.  Feel free to question.  Feel free to form opinions, but before you go off on the state of affairs just get all of the facts.  This being said, I recognize part of that freedom is that you don't have to get all of the facts.  You can form an opinion at any point in time (informed or uninformed) and you are welcome to express that opinion.

Another thing that really get under my skin are people who like to complain, but never do anything constructive.  I'm sorry but I really feel that if you want to criticize the presidential office or any other office, you should be an active participant in government.  Good citizens vote.  That being said, the beauty of this country is you can sit at home and never get out there, never pick up a shovel to do any sort of work, and you can have criticize to your heart's content.

These issues bother me on both sides of the political spectrum.  I live in a Bush/business/football/SUV lovin' state.  I constantly have to remind my family to be slow to judge when it comes to global issues.  They're pretty good for conservatives, but at times my dad and my oldest brother can get a little to republican for my taste.

Two issues that are really bugging me (for many months now) are abortion and gay marriage.  Please understand I grew up in a fundamentalist church.  Dobson is the compass for many people I know (I wish I could have the bumper sticker that says "Focus on your own family" but I'm afraid my car would be keyed).

I just want to call Dobson (and many others) and ask him what gay marriage really has to do with him?  Tell me how it hurts you?  For many years we (Christians) criticized anyone homosexual for a promiscuous lifestyle (images of studio 54 come to mind, although just as many heterosexuals were there)… but now that people (as in human beings, just like you and me) want to settle down, have a home together, maybe raise a family, want to be able to die together…  NOW THAT ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH FOR US EITHER?  I'm dumbfounded.  Just so everyone is aware, there were many fundamentalist Christians who thought slavery wasn't a problem.

And abortion.  Jeez, it sucks that this is a government issue.  Guess what?  NO one is FOR abortion.  Seriously.  No one likes it.  The women who have gone through it, don't like the whole deal.  But if it isn't legalized, people will still get it done.  Having a 15 year old niece, I would love to think that we have talked about sex - the maturity level needed, the responsibility that comes with it, etc. - and I would love to think that she will make good choices.  But should the circumstance arise that she felt she needed an abortion, I would love to think she would talk to me first… BUT I can't bare the thought of her going to some back alley clinic because we want to do the right thing and make it illegal for her to be properly cared for….

This is another issue where people love to spout off but don't want to do anything about it.  Adoption is an alternative?  You go adopt a crack-baby.  More sex education, oh wait most of the people who want abortion to be illegal don't want sex talked about in schools.

The truth is adoption is an alternative.  And we need to get to the root cause of the issue.  Abortion isn't about the time of conception, its about the time when the choice was made to have unprotected sex (leaving out the rape, contraception failure issues)…  I am around many teenage girls on a weekly basis.  They need to be loved.  If they don't get it at home, they will find it elsewhere. 

So for those of us who think abortion should be illegal, tell me when the last time you sat down with a little girl and made sure she knows that she is special, made sure that she knows how to take care of herself should she choose to have sex?

And for those of us who think that marriage is defined as a man and woman, please tell me how you were harmed by lesbian couple or a two men who want to be able to care for each other when one has to go to the hospital?

Today, before you open your mouth to judge just ask yourself "what have I done to correct the situation?"…  There are many people who need help right now.  It is your right to criticize FEMA, President Bush or anyone else; however, it is your responsibility to help our people get their lives back.

Sorry, a little heavy for a Friday.  I hope everyone has a restful weekend.

2 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Blogger Dagny said...

I am a bleeding heart liberal and proud of it. This goes over real big with all of my relatives in the Bible belt. (I have way too many relatives who are Pentacostal. Makes for interesting family gatherings though -- especially when you mix in the Catholic and Islamic relatives.)

Back to the point. I have always argued that abortion would not be as big an issue if people (I say people because it still does take two to create a child) make educated decisions. This would entail the sex education that you mentioned. It has always deeply disturbed me that the same people who want to deny women the right to choose are the same who do not want sex education in the schools. Yes, in a perfect world these things would be discussed at home but there are far too many parents who are not having these conversations. Also how likely is it that a teenager will listen to his/her 34 year old or even younger mom? Obviously mom didn't necessarily have all the facts at that age. What makes her an expert now?

The good news is that there are people like my grandmother out there. She thinks that homosexuality is wrong but she sees absolutely no harm in gay marriage. When I was growing up, she seemed so rigid in her beliefs. Either she has mellowed with age or I just didn't really know her well. I am starting to think that, unfortunately, it was probably the latter. Once she surprised me with her stance on gays in the military, we started having open discussions.

The bottom line is that she feels that "the Christian thing to do" is to be accepting of all people -- as long as they are not harming anyone else.

By the way, sorry for the long rant.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Sara J. said...

Rant away. Let me know when you are getting together next. I would love to be a fly on the wall.

Maybe you should apply for the "make me a reality show" thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home