My 26th Year of Life
So I turned 26 a few weeks ago, three weeks to be precise. And I prefer to do resolutions around my new year. So this year, besides the obligatory "want to lose weight" (I've lost 6 lbs since I turned 26!), I've decided that I'm going to do something new for every week of the year.
Week One: Saw the Killers in concert. Now, this may not be a big deal to those of you who live in real cities where you get to see real bands all the time, but for little Omaha, this is huge. They were suppose to play here back in May when they were just the killers. They rescheduled three times and during that time they have basically become THE KILLERS. I didn't think it would happen but they kept the word and they played little Omaha on the way to Red Rocks. MTV announced this week they would be playing at the video music awards. It was so cool to see a band brimming with potential, living on the edge of being famous play a little 1920's ballroom in Omaha. What a great show. I walked away with a feeling of optimism. Everything has potential. A band right before the TIPPING POINT.
Week Two: Went to a Faint show. This band is huge in Omaha and also has tons of potential. They played two sold-out nights at the same 1920's ballroom. The thing that was cool about this was the scene was so not Omaha. Just for a second you could have believed that if you walked out the doors of the Sokol Ballroom, you would be in the streets of NYC.
Here I am in week 3. And I've run out of things to do. I didn't really set rules about this so it could be anything small or big. And it can't always be about music… I haven't decided if new restaurants count or if new food counts… or if it would have to be like "Wow, I've never had Nigerian food before"… So I guess I'm looking for suggestions. I've been trying to cook lately and I'm going to make manicotti for the first time tonight so there's that. But what else?
Tell me things I should try doing. Make them odd, things you thought you would never do and then you tried it and you liked it (btw - anything involving alternative points of entry into the body need not be mentioned. I'm sure its great, but I have young, influencable nieces and they will find this site shortly).
Cheers everyone!

3 Comments:
I understand Omaha has a nice indie music industry going for itself, so hey, if it's there, might as well enjoy it.
I have a friend from high school who lives there now, and she spends all of her free time at that ballroom.
Hmmm ... that was about the point in my life when the "something new" was trying to do things I had previously done but trying them alone. One of the big challenges was to treat myself to dinner in a fancy restaurant -- alone. I also tried going to clubs alone. It turned out pretty good because I discovered that people are much more willing to approach you when you aren't with others.
I'll try to see if I can divert some brain energy to this question today.
That is a good idea. What old things can I do alone? Because I've traveled too much for business, I've done a lot alone... but there could be something else.
Post a Comment
<< Home