SaraJane

Just a girl trying to get by. If I found a nice guy to get by with along the way, that wouldn't be all bad.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Speaking of Kitchen Confidential

My new thing for the week was going to be cooking at home all week.  Well, I have completely botched that up…  So, I will substitute.  Today I will attempt to cook fish for the first time.  I do not like salmon.  I do not have a grill.  Any other suggestions would be welcomed.  I guess that would be recipes, any recipes would be welcome.

In other news, my niece is doing quite well in school this year.  So far we have a 98% in geometry and an 88% in biology.  I'm bummed about the biology thing because she really did study and her teacher told her "be thankful, you have the second highest grade in the class"…  That goes over well when you are trying to apply for scholarships, "Yes, I know its not on par with my other grades, but it was the second highest grade in the class!"  I would love to hear from any teachers out there on how to deal with this.  The kid studied what was on the review sheet and there were things on the test that were not on the review sheet.  Also, the teacher has expressed his dislike for my nieces choice of extracurricular activities, namely cheerleading.  My suggestion was to go to the teacher before the test and say "this is what I think is going to be on the test, if I'm missing something please tell me"… does that work?

Boot camp was in the rain today.  Thunder, lightening and rain… lots of rain.  It was still fun.  Good work out too.

7 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Blogger Gloria said...

I like salmon poached. I actually prefer most of my fish poached as you are less likely to overcook it.

I also like good sushi-quality tuna raw, drizzled with soy sauce and sesame seeds.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Dagny said...

Salmon is ok. I'm more of a trout fan -- poached. Oh, and ahi tuna just seared with a nice wasabi sauce. And mahi mahi, but that really needs to be grilled. Swordfish is lovely on a grill as well. I know -- no grill. Reasons to get a grill though.

You're still doing the boot camp thing? You are much more dedicated person than I am.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Sara J. said...

What does poached mean? Sorry, I know I should know this.

Boot camp is still kicking my booty... Lots of cardio today! I have this for another 3 weeks!

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Dagny said...

Cooked in liquid.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Sara J. said...

ok, just talked to my mom about poaching. this seems like the way to go on the fish front... I did the oven thing last night and it was good but the extra piece I cooked for lunch today is rubbery.

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can poach in an oven, saucepan, or dishwasher. It's a great way to cook fish since it's kind of hard to totally mess it up - which is a good thing if you're trying out different kinds of fish that cook in different ways. Experiment! That's part of the fun.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Sara J. said...

ddj - Experiment is not in my nature, at least when it comes to cooking. The ugly side of being an accountant is that we like exact measurements. I'm a much better at baking than I am at cooking.

And as far as the poaching thing goes, I do not believe that people really cook in their dishwashers. I've heard it before, but I don't believe anyone who says they have cooked (and ate) food in their dishwasher.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home